Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kurt Vile

This is not new, but I really wanted to put a few words down about Kurt Vile. His 2009 album "Childish Prodigy" got a lot of well deserved attention. I need to give it multiple listens still, but I definitely appreciate it more than I did two months ago. That being said, I still catch myself listening to many songs from 2008 "Constant Hitmaker" on repeat, it's such a great album and I wish I would've found it much, much sooner. So, what can you say about Vile besides the fact that his love for Philadelphia (mainly cheese steaks) could rival John Kruk's? Well, to use a beaten to death cliche...his music is very much indie Americana, its right up there with Apple Pie, The Dallas Cowboys, and Bald Eagles- all of these things would need to be wearing thick glasses and some dark skinny jeans....because, you know. Nevermind, trust me it works. Listening to his solo albums its easy to hear how his music could be likened to that of Springsteen, Tom Petty, Seger and often Dylan....and then can lead to thoughts of Traveling Wilbury's. These similarities are in his guitar play, his understated vocals, but mainly the rawness of these things melding together, kind of like a Philly cheese steak.

Eat your heart out John Kruk.

Two songs of 2008's constant hitmaker, one off 2009's Childish Prodigy, and another great song from Kurt's non-solo project "The War On Drugs" (they're great too)

Kurt Vile- Freeway
Kurt Vile- Breathin Out
Kurt Vile- Hunchback
The War on Drugs- Taking the Farm

4 comments:

Jason Rueger said...

This is rad. Again, this is rad. once more..this is rad.

Encore...rad

Garrett Sorrels said...

Rueg dog, you turned me onto this fella. I owe the thanks to you.

BradyK said...

I second Rueger's comment. This is rad.

-From the bus.

Garrett Sorrels said...

Nice, BK. I like it a lot.


From my Home Computer (its a Mac....no big deal)